My Guide Website?
San Francisco’s Chinatown on foot: A Self Guided Audio Tour
Enjoy this food, culture and history walk with an immersive audio tour. Experience the magic of GPS-playback on this immersive stroll through San Francisco's Chinatown.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in San Francisco:If youʻre booking your trip to San Francisco last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- San Francisco: Food Walking Tour of Chinatown & North Beach
- San Francisco: City Tour with Alcatraz Entry Ticket
- San Francisco, Sausalito and Muir Woods Small Group Tour
- San Francisco: Skip-the-Line 1-Hour Bay Cruise by Boat
- San Francisco: Bridge to Bridge Cruise
- Get recommendations on what to order in Chinatown
- Find out what makes the oldest Chinatown in North America such a special place
- Visit iconic shops and stop at places of cultural significance while listening
- Enjoy this self-paced tour, stopping and resuming playback when you're ready
- Get unlimited use of the tour before your booking date and after it
DescriptionSan Francisco’s Chinatown is one of North America’s oldest and, with only 24 blocks, it’s one of the most densely populated areas west of New York City. On this walking tour, you’ll tuck into this vibrant district’s history and pick up a few tasty – and traditional – treats along the way. I’m a 5th generation Chinese American and 4th generation Japanese American who grew up in San Francisco without really understanding Chinatown’s role in society. On this tour, I hope to share what I’ve discovered and introduce you to some new culinary delights too. This culture, food, and history walk starts in front of the Dragon Gate on Grant Avenue. From there, we’ll make our way to four special eateries where, along with sharing the history of each place, I’ll make recommendations on what to order. As you walk, you’ll find out what makes the oldest Chinatown in North America a special place, learn about the 1906 earthquake, and pass by some of the best souvenir shops. I’ll also show you the Chinese Historical Society of America Museum, Portsmouth Square, and St Mary’s Square where our tour ends. On this hour-long tour, you can stop off at: • Golden Gate Fortune Cookie Factory, the oldest fortune cookie factory in the city • Wong Lee Bakery where you can pick up a traditional egg tart or two • Good Mong Kok Bakery, a dim sum restaurant specializing in dumplings • Eastern Bakery where you’ll learn about mooncakes, a traditional pastry with a dense filling made from lotus seed or sweet bean paste On this Chinatown tour, you can look forward to: • Finding a few bargains and souvenirs at Canton Bazaar • Learning about Bruce Lee’s ties to Chinatown • Hearing about the effect of the Chinese Exclusion Act on Chinese immigration • Seeing the Wok Shop, which supplies 200 woks per week to culinary professionals, community members, and foodie enthusiasts • Visiting the iconic Chinatown Kite Shop where you can pick up a $400 handmade Chinese dragon kite, as well as more pocket-friendly options • Discover Old Saint Mary’s Cathedral which hosts regular events including Chinese New Year celebrations, and the annual Irish Heritage Festival By the end of the tour, you’ll have gained a new appreciation for San Francisco’s Chinatown and also picked up a few new places to grab some grub. Along the route, we’ll pass tons of shops and restaurants so plan for 60 to 90 minutes depending on how much you like to stop and shop along the way.
IncludesLifetime access to this tour in English VoiceMap app for Android and iOS Offline access to audio, maps, and geodata
- You need to install the VoiceMap smartphone app.
- You can download the tour at any time, before or after your booking date. It’s best to download the tour before you set off for the starting point.
- This tour follows a set route and includes turn-by-turn directions. It works best if you start it in the right place and follow the directions from one location to the next.
- When the download completes, you’ll see a screen with a photo of the starting point and directions to it. The red start button will become active when you are at the starting point.
- This tour is only available in English.